Dubbel bouwverslag Eezebilt pt boot

Discussie in 'Bouwverslagen - Schepen' gestart door Egon Beyne, 9 sep 2015.

1. Egon Beyne

Egon Beyne

Lid geworden:
    7 nov 2014
    Hallo,

Een week heb ik een plan van een pt boot gevonden van Eezebilt.
    Ik ben al een paar dagen bezig met deze boot en ik heb ook een vriend, Toon Chaerle, kunnen overtuigen om deze boot ook te bouwen. In dit verslag zullen we beiden foto's plaatsen. Hier een paar foto's van waar ik nu sta:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mvg Egon

toonchaerle en MikeMohawk vinden dit leuk.
  2. Indoorvlieger

Indoorvlieger Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    3 mei 2010
    Nog weer zo'n leuk model van Eeze, ik ben benieuwd naar het resultaat.

toonchaerle vindt dit leuk.
  3. setsunakaede

setsunakaede

Lid geworden:
    19 jun 2011
    Mooi werk! Die EeZeBilt bootjes bouwen lekker he?

Zal ik de link maar even toevoegen voor mensen die geinspireerd raken door jullie bouwkunsten? EeZeBilt.co.vu zijn de plannen te downloaden, samen met nog een heel aantal leuke modellen.

Dennist en toonchaerle vinden dit leuk.
  4. Dodgy Geezer

Dodgy Geezer

Lid geworden:
    21 jan 2013
    Hi - I'm very interested in your building experience with this model - especially if you find any errors in the plan!

The next stage is doing the motor/propshaft and rudder installation - I am also interested to see if you find the rudder installation hard to do - it is a bit unusual and there isn't much room to work in...

5. Egon Beyne

Egon Beyne

Lid geworden:
    7 nov 2014
    Hello,

Thank You for Your reaction.
    I haven't got any problems with the plans so far,
    they are all clear to us.
    But I have a few questions for you.
    Wich size of shaft did you use?
    What motor can I choose best? Thanks! Egon

Laatst bewerkt: 12 sep 2015
  6. Dodgy Geezer

Dodgy Geezer

Lid geworden:
    21 jan 2013
    I should really put more data out with the plans - but I'm not so good at admin!

The original EezeBilt boats came out in 1959, when fittings and other items for model boats were expensive, with not much choice. So it was common for young modellers to make items up themselves, and I am hoping to continue that tradition! I make up my rudders, prop-shafts and connectors, and, though I buy the motor and propellers, I look for the cheapest possible items.

I make the prop-tube and shaft to a standard size, so it can be bought if you want to. This one is 9" long (23cm) with a shaft of 9 3/4" (25cm). I find that 4mm shafts are very bulky for these small boats, so I use 2mm shafts, which are a bit thin, but seem to survive. That limits me to 2mm propellers, and the cheapest seem to be these RadioActive ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RADIOACTI...HREAD-2-OFF-/400990398686?hash=item5d5ce3e8de

For this boat I used a 40mm prop, and sanded it down to 32mm.

The motor I used is the EMax CF2822 - you can get them for around GBP6:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=EMax+CF2822&_sop=15

I make my own connectors - but these look quite useful:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=3mm+connector+model+boat&_sop=2

7. toonchaerle

toonchaerle

Lid geworden:
    9 jun 2014
    Thanks alot for the information sir. I am building one 2, and soon egon and i will have a whole fleet of pt-boats ;)

8. Dodgy Geezer

Dodgy Geezer

Lid geworden:
    21 jan 2013
    I would love to see a fleet! Since these are low-cost boats, it is not expensive to make several.

The original PT-Boats did not fight singly, but were deployed in squadrons or 'Rons', of about 12 boats. They tended to operate in groups of three or four, since they were vulnerable to destroyers or aircraft if caught on their own. Most wartime photographs show a group of boats together, practicing formation attacks. Here is a copy of the Attack Doctrine Manual:

http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/pt/doctrine/index.htm

Lots of American modellers make single PT-Boat models. But I have never seen a group sailing a squadron together...

Laatst bewerkt: 12 sep 2015
  9. Egon Beyne

Egon Beyne

Lid geworden:
    7 nov 2014
    If I make a second pt boat then we could make a formation of 3 boats and maybe my sister could control one☺.
    But first finish this one. Today I've made the roof for the day cabin, a part of the mast and the engine room hatch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

toonchaerle vindt dit leuk.
  10. Dodgy Geezer

Dodgy Geezer

Lid geworden:
    21 jan 2013
  11. Dodgy Geezer

Dodgy Geezer

Lid geworden:
    21 jan 2013
    I've added a few more pictures on making the 37mm gun here - http://eezebilt.co.vu/PTB5.html

You can make LOTS of deck accessories with this boat - and you can make different versions with different equipment as the war progressed.

The first ones had a simple mast, no bow gun and a single oerlikon at the stern. They had 4 long torpedo tubes.
    Then they changed the torpedo tubes for roll-off mounts, and added bow guns
    Then they added a radar mast and a big Bofors gun at the stern. Sometimes they had more guns on the bow as well.
    Finally they had a more complex radar mast and added rockets to the bow armament......

12. Egon Beyne

Egon Beyne

Lid geworden:
    7 nov 2014
    Before I do the shaft I have made the bottom, because then I can see the angle of the shaft better.

[​IMG]

I will do the rest of the hull after the shaft and motor installation.

13. Dodgy Geezer

Dodgy Geezer

Lid geworden:
    21 jan 2013
    ...I will do the rest of the hull after the shaft and motor installation....

...and rudder/servo installation - if you are using the servo plate technique I used!

If you have cut the keel with the angle specified on the plan you will find that the maximum size prop that will fit is about 30mm. But I use very low thin sheet steel motor mounts. A taller mount (and altering to shaft angle accordingly) will give you more prop clearance.

Laatst bewerkt: 27 sep 2015
  14. Egon Beyne

Egon Beyne

Lid geworden:
    7 nov 2014
    [​IMG]

I installed the shaft and sanded down a rudder to a better size. I am now trying to make the torpedos.

15. Dodgy Geezer

Dodgy Geezer

Lid geworden:
    21 jan 2013
    I see you have also put a gun tub in - it's proceeding quite fast!

I see that my plans don't specify a rudder size - sorry! I had to cut my original rudder down - at speed it was turning far too rapidly. The rudder size I ended up with was 1" (2.5cm) x 0.7" (1.7cm)... See http://eezebilt.co.vu/img_1638.jpg

16. Egon Beyne

Egon Beyne

Lid geworden:
    7 nov 2014
    I made them from balsa wich I made wet and then I bended the balsa around something with the right form.

[​IMG]

Dennist vindt dit leuk.
  17. Egon Beyne

Egon Beyne

Lid geworden:
    7 nov 2014
    [​IMG]

One of the main guns is ready now. Before I can glue it to the deck I have a question, how was the deck made?
    When I search on the internet, I find foto's of pt boats where you can't see the wooden deck because it's painted. But I can only see
    foto's of model pt boats with an unpainted deck. Do you now if there where pt boats with an unpainted deck? Because that is more beautiful and I want to keep it scale.

18. Marc w

Marc w

Lid geworden:
    10 feb 2013
    grijs met blank dek is meestal afkomstig uit de middellandse zee en het kanaal tussen Engeland - europa
    groene pt boten zijn afkomstig uit het oosten ( Japan ) en werden geschilderd volgens de kleur van bomen op het eiland waar ze gestationeerd waren.
    vgr Marc

19. Egon Beyne

Egon Beyne

Lid geworden:
    7 nov 2014
    Ik heb na wat zoekwerk besloten dat ik deze ga maken
    http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/05562.htm
    Hij werd gebruikt in Europa en werd achteraf aan de ussr verkocht waar hij in de barentszee is gezonken.
    Het vervelende aan de foto op de site is dat er geen kleuren zijn zodat ik niet weet hoe ik hem moet schilderen.

Mvg Egon

20. Egon Beyne

Egon Beyne

Lid geworden:
    7 nov 2014
    This evening I decided to make a new radar mast in balsa instead of the brass mast I made some time ago.[​IMG]

Deel Deze Pagina