My helicopter is possessed by evil spirits! Help!

Discussie in 'Heli-Pilot's Mess' gestart door JD, 27 okt 2004.

1. JD

JD

Lid geworden:
    22 okt 2004
    Hey guys,

The weirdest thing happened. Last battery i had a full flight with no incident i charged up the battery and the next day hooked it up and as soon as i touched the controls on my radio the helicopter went nuts. Twitching servos and the the main motor racing and slowing was a bitch to get ahold of it and disconnet the power but i managed. I then noticed that the radio may be running a bit low on power so i put in 8 new AA's and tried it again. This time it appears that the throttle works normally but any time i touch cyclic the servos dont seem to respond and instead the main motor starts up and stops at full power. Like its pulsing full power to the main motor on and off. What in the world could have caused this? I havent crashed and nothing has changed at all. I just ran the battery down, recharged and the next day hooked it up to fly and its acting crazy.

Very frustrating :/ As if learning to fly the thing isnt hard enough :/

anni

2. Bruno van Hoek

Bruno van Hoek Vriend van modelbouwforum.nl PH-SAM Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    23 aug 2002
    Almere, MVA (ex-Daedalus Amsterdam)/ PH-SAM/F23D
    Where did you put these? I hope you're not talking about 8 single drycell AA's....

3. jacques

jacques Guest

I need a young priest and an old priest [​IMG]

4. JD

JD

Lid geworden:
    22 okt 2004
    No, no. The eight AA's were for the radio.

Its a Ikarus Eco V2 with picoboard plus and heading lock module and the radio is a lexors 4+1 channel.

Has anyone ever had anything similar? Do these boards just go bad?

5. JD

JD

Lid geworden:
    22 okt 2004
    Haha :)

6. Willem_Jan

Willem_Jan

Lid geworden:
    7 apr 2004
    You may pray it's not getting worser than this :lol:

Maybe check the aa batteries for dead ones ?. Check your wires from the batteries to the transmitter.

7. JD

JD

Lid geworden:
    22 okt 2004
    I dont know if this will be of any help to anyone but i've narrowed down to two things what might have gone wrong with my setup and thought i would post the info here for anyone that may ever run into this.

The radio i was using had batteries that had gotten quite low without me realizing this. This is when the heli went nuts the first time. After it freaked out and i was able to start isolating and testing for damage to see what was working and what was not I found the following.

A) The tail motor was completely burnt. (No responce to input at all but a new tail motor with the same board worked fine)
    B) The left/right aileron servo when sent any signal at all caused the entire board to glitch and the main motor to race.

I've fixed it by doing the following.

1) Replaced both servos
    2) Replaced the tail motor

I've been told by the heli expert at the hobby shop that the Radio controls how much current is sent to the servos. If the radio malfunctions or the Rx board loses signal its possible that the board can send much higher current to the servos than what they can handle damaging them permanently and causing massive glitches to the rest of the machine. Thats theory one and would seem consistent with the low batteries on my radio and sudden loss of control. (low power = lost signal to the Tx)

Theory two would be that the tail motor went bad and when this happened caused some power surges to the servos damaging one of them in the process.

I don't really know for sure what went wrong and i guess i never will. I just know that replaceing the servos and the tail motor seems to have fixed the problem.

Cheers,
    jd

8. Bruno van Hoek

Bruno van Hoek Vriend van modelbouwforum.nl PH-SAM Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    23 aug 2002
    Almere, MVA (ex-Daedalus Amsterdam)/ PH-SAM/F23D
    In the TX, you don't use single AA's in a battery-clip, do you? Because that's an accident waiting to happen.
    ALWAYS use complete batterypacks with soldered or spot-welded connections between the individual cells. Using a clip with spring-contacts WILL result in glitches in the TX-signal eventually and may cause nasty accidents...

Deel Deze Pagina