P1 Puma RIB racing-scratch building

Discussie in 'Speedboten' gestart door Dim L, 3 okt 2021.

1. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    2 apr 2003
    Looking great! Does the transom adapter allow angle adjustment? It looks like it does .

One advice, I see you use shims on your motor screws. I did as well, but somehow I 'lost' them during maintenance. It turned out they were pulled in the motor and sticked to the magnet. The motor did not turn anymore due to that.
    The Rocket motor is assembled with Torx 5 screws. I didn't have that size, so I ended up drilling the screws out and make them M3 thread.

Long story short: be careful with small metal parts, because the Rocket motors have a very open endbell and it easily swallows small items.

Dim L vindt dit leuk.
  2. Tamiya1970

Tamiya1970

Lid geworden:
    31 mrt 2012
    I agre with Dirk Jan ,just wen you louse a grubs screw its in you motor
    I think the boat is going to perform better with this set up .

Dim L vindt dit leuk.
  3. Dim L

Dim L

Lid geworden:
    18 aug 2021
    Thank you both guys!
    Jan very usefull advise! I just noticed these huge endbell openings. Yes, it will allow angle adjustment, I only need to drill larger oval holes on the aluminum :)!

Alex it will hopefully perform better. Except for the lower cog, this setup is also overall lighter which is a always good thing :thumbsup:!

Overall, this outdrive is too easy to build compared to an outboard. If it is successful in real life running I may plan a large > 1 m long twin motor mono hull. Take a look at this video / company which was my main source of inspiration for this outdrive:

http://www.wd200-modellbau.de/?Antriebe/Drives:Z-Drive/Direktantrieb

PS. For those interested in designing rc boats I recently came across Delftship designing software which can be downloaded for free and it seems quite promising and relatively easier than the Fusion360 and it comes with a nice manual as well. It is a boat dedicated design software and it provides also some hydrostatic metrics but the most important for me is that you can get the developed surfaces of your boat.

Unusual RC, Tamiya1970 en Dirk Jan vinden dit leuk.
  4. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    2 apr 2003
    Good information on the drive and software By developed surfaces, you mean a flat pattern of the skin / plating of the boat?

A >1m hull with twin drive sounds great! Former days, this would cost a fortune, but with a good lipo deal, twin Flycolor 150A and twin (Rocket) 40 size motors, it would be kind of affordable (your wife might disagree ).

How is your WOF tunnel going? Really interested in the maiden of that boat as well!

Dim L vindt dit leuk.
  5. Dim L

Dim L

Lid geworden:
    18 aug 2021
    Thanks Jan!
    Yes I mean the flat pattern of the skin / plating of the boat. I like the way Wild thing is designed and it is a good guide for future deep v hulls.
    I had exactly the same idea with 2 X 4082 1600 kv Rocket and 2 X150 A Flycolor on a ~ 120 cm hull.
    All together with flexes, a spt servo, a 30 euro receiver and 2 X diy outdrives it will cost about 300 euros. I would say it is a medium cost project.

This is just like a good Tamiya kit. So I ll make a deal with my lovely wife: One less tamiya rc car for a large rc boat ;)!
    Just kidding she ll probably have no problem with this amount of money...It is a not an ArrowShark rc boat afterall :) (Check this brand with its extra luxury rc boats and hardware!)

Well about the WOF tunnel project it is kind of stationary because I prioritized my projects as follows:
    1. Penarib + 2 mini wild things,
    2. Cosy F1 with the diy mercury outboard.
    3. WoF Tunell hull
    4. Mini monohull outboard racer.

As you see I have an extra outboard now which I will use it on the Cosy F1. It requires some work but is an ARTR hull and it does not deserve to be a shelf Queen :)!!!

Unusual RC, Dirk Jan en Tamiya1970 vinden dit leuk.
  6. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    2 apr 2003
    Great plans and I always liked the idea of your Mercury outboard behind the Cozy F1.

The cost of a DIY build can definitely be less than an RTR hull. But in your overview you forgot the cost of the actuall hull .
    I will do a cost video on my Wild Thing lateron. It is less than the Proboat Sonicwake 36 V2. On the other hand, I realize that DIY building is not for everyone and the RTR hulls bring a lot of new hobbyists

Dim L vindt dit leuk.
  7. Unusual RC

Unusual RC

Lid geworden:
    19 mei 2004
    Delfship is developed by our Dutch university TU Delft in their Naval departement.
    Indeed it is top notch software for designing ship-hulls.
    Be aware the learning curve is steep compared to Fusion 360...but you can virtually creat any hull!
    Indeed you miss sufficient control for lofts in Fusion to create better hulls.

Unfortunately all software (like SolidWorks and Rhino) who can do that are paid offers :(
    Both feature student versions, but can be hard for some to activate.

In both software genuine boat builders create large vessels. Rhino is the most beloved of them both among yacht designers ;)

Double drives look cool for sure!
    The larger the more realistic the handling of the model!

Dim L vindt dit leuk.
  8. Dim L

Dim L

Lid geworden:
    18 aug 2021
    Jan my cost analysis includes only these extra € I have to explain to my wife;)! I have a fairly good stock of a 1mm and 3mm ply, epoxy resign, and fibers just in case I need them:D.

Yes, cosy + diy mercury will hopefully be a great combination. I am waiting for the very interesting video of cost analysis.

Michael thank you for the information. It seems that your universities do good job:thumbsup:.

Delftship is so user friendly and much easier than Fusion360. It is also easy to import a picture or a drawing (side view and or top view) and "copy" a real life boat design.

When I use it in a new project I let you know:thumbsup:!

Unusual RC en Dirk Jan vinden dit leuk.

Deel Deze Pagina