Scratch built ribs and outboards

Discussie in 'Speedboten' gestart door Returntohome, 7 apr 2022.

1. Returntohome

Returntohome

Lid geworden:
    3 apr 2022
    20210920_151633.jpg I started building ribs during the lockdown, I had built two without being able to get out to try them, but I wasn't disappointed when I finally got to run them they performed just like the real thing. This was my first with a modified Tfl outboard.

Cnn, Tamiya1970, Gerrit-Jan en 5 anderen vinden dit leuk.
  2. Dim L

Dim L

Lid geworden:
    18 aug 2021
    Welcome to the forum Returntohome and congrats for your nice work!
    I will follow your topic!!! ;)

3. Unusual RC

Unusual RC

Lid geworden:
    19 mei 2004
    Welcome Colin!

Your custom outboards are a true work of art too, besides the one-of-a-kind RIB's!

Dim L vindt dit leuk.
  4. Dim L

Dim L

Lid geworden:
    18 aug 2021
    The scenery behind the boat is also fantastic...

5. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    2 apr 2003
    Welcome returntohome. I met you at rcgroups already and have seen your DIY outboard. Great work!
    I am interested in some details of your RIB's. Are they wood constructed? What kind of setup do you use for them?

More pictures are always welcome

Dim L vindt dit leuk.
  6. Returntohome

Returntohome

Lid geworden:
    3 apr 2022
    20220305_135305.jpg A nice welcome from you all, thank you. Dim l the lake is in the Yorkshire dales where I go on holiday or even just a day out as it's not far.
    My first three ribs were made from aluminium with some 3d printed parts , I will link a video.

eric_laermans, Gerrit-Jan, Cnn en 5 anderen vinden dit leuk.
  7. Dim L

Dim L

Lid geworden:
    18 aug 2021
    Fantastic work:thumbsup::thumbsup:!!!!!!
    The outboard is more than impressive...
    How do you weld aluminum? I have also tried without much success.
    Dimensions of the boats, weight and setup?

8. Tamiya1970

Tamiya1970

Lid geworden:
    31 mrt 2012
    Oh wow ,very impressive work

9. Returntohome

Returntohome

Lid geworden:
    3 apr 2022
    20210903_172200.jpg 20210903_172211.jpg These are not welds I warm up JB weld in hot water then fill a syringe and squeeze it out whilst moving bit by bit. I also use rivets where I can. Then for large joints I use CT1 sealant , expensive but very good and waterproof.

Unusual RC en Dim L vinden dit leuk.
  10. Returntohome

Returntohome

Lid geworden:
    3 apr 2022

I wish we could do this again it was great fun. We used my jet rib as the filming boat driven by Paul and I chased after him with my very first rib trying to jump his wake.

Gerrit-Jan en Dim L vinden dit leuk.
  11. Returntohome

Returntohome

Lid geworden:
    3 apr 2022
    They are based on Gala ribs which are built in the Ukraine, at least they were. The A500L is 5 meters long at 1/6th scale mine is 833mm long tubes are 520mm รท 6 = 86mm i was lucky to find 86 mm foam insulation which i cover with vinyl.
    They best powered by the TFL outboard, I have tried my big outboard but its too powerful to be fair and it means adding an extra battery too.
    A rare photo of my two 1/6 ribs out together, the jet rib is still being built in this photo. 20210602_112809.jpg

Dirk Jan en Dim L vinden dit leuk.
  12. Returntohome

Returntohome

Lid geworden:
    3 apr 2022
    20220306_170710.jpg the tfl outboard has it's problems, the gears don't last long if it's made to work hard. Same with the bearings, which is why I developed my own outboard. It had to have 21mm helical gears, it had to have 16mm bearings and oilseals, and to be filled with oil, like full size. Michiel " unusual rc" helped me a lot with the development. I had to buy a 3d printer, my first, and learn how to draw the parts on the computer, which I now love doing.
    for the tfl ,I swap bearings for bronze bushes, they don't break up like the tiny ball bearings. A smaller motor seems to help too, like 2950 .

13. Dim L

Dim L

Lid geworden:
    18 aug 2021
    Nice idea, this an epoxy for metals, right? I have also used an epoxy for metals in my diy outboard. Are you happy with the durability of the welds until now?

I am surprised that ball bearings broke :eek:. I have also used tiny ball bearings in my flex shaft outboard to reduce frictions. I wish I am more lucky to avoid such problems :confused:...

Michael has also helped me when I was designing my rib in fusion 360...:worship:... There are a lot of guys here that are really helpful with cool ideas.

I think your outboard success is based on the good lubrication
    I have a 1/1 15 hp Tohatsu for my 3,6 m rib and gear oil has to be changed every 50 working hours...which points out how important is good lubrication to extent outboards life span...

Unusual RC vindt dit leuk.
  14. Unusual RC

Unusual RC

Lid geworden:
    19 mei 2004
    As I told Colin before, when I was a student (over 25 years ago) I worked at an outboard shop.
    When somebody damaged their end part containing the perpendicular gears, a replacement was not that easily installed.
    Every tail piece of an outboard has shimms added to custom trim the fitting of these gears.
    Tolerances were very small.

Dim L vindt dit leuk.
  15. Returntohome

Returntohome

Lid geworden:
    3 apr 2022
    20220408_152152.jpg 20220408_151944.jpg 20220408_152107.jpg 20220408_152618.jpg 20220408_151938.jpg This outboard has just had an oil change after 8 hours running couldn't resist trying it on the new rib for size
    The only time a weld broke was when someone crashed into it, it was easy to redo.

Laatst bewerkt: 8 apr 2022
    Dim L en Unusual RC vinden dit leuk.
  16. Unusual RC

Unusual RC

Lid geworden:
    19 mei 2004
    The bench has become really nice!
    Cannot see it ever came from a FDM printer, well done!

The large outboard fits the new RIB well!

Dim L vindt dit leuk.
  17. Returntohome

Returntohome

Lid geworden:
    3 apr 2022
    DSC00175.JPG DSC00181.JPG Last November we had a week in a cottage right on the harbour of this Yorkshire fishing village. Stan took his gala rib out in the harbour for a spin, if you look close you can see seaweed on his jacket. That was when he got too close to the beach and got swamped :stupidIt all ended well with a pint and fish and chips in a local pub:bier:

18. Dim L

Dim L

Lid geworden:
    18 aug 2021
    Yesterday I showed my wife your work and at first she thought that the rib and the driver were real. Excellent realism, keep up the good work!

Gerrit-Jan en Unusual RC vinden dit leuk.
  19. rexonamen

rexonamen

Lid geworden:
    24 nov 2006
    Dim L vindt dit leuk.
  20. Unusual RC

Unusual RC

Lid geworden:
    19 mei 2004
    Dim L vindt dit leuk.

Deel Deze Pagina