FALKONET VINACCIERE 1:48

Discussie in 'Bouwverslagen historische schepen' gestart door Heinrich, 21 sep 2020.

1. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    Hello Dear Model Shipbuilding Friends

I know I have been quiet for a while, but I have not been idle.

I invite you all to join me in the build of the Falkonet Leudo Vinacciere.

So, why this kit and why this build?

First, I wanted to experience a different building method than a conventional Plank on Bulkhead construction. Below the waterline, it uses a modified “shell-first” method in which the bulkheads remain in place. Above the waterline, it actually features a Plank-on-Frame construction method.

Second, I wanted to experience what a different kit manufacturer is like to work with. Falkonet - along with Master Korabel and Piroscaf - is regarded as a state-of-the-art Russian manufacturer which is well-known for its high-quality kits and build methods that require a high level of precision during the assembly process.

Third, I wanted to work with different materials. (MDF, Anegri and Swiss Pear).

Lastly, it offers some variation during the build of the Haarlem and gives me something to do while I’m waiting for the glue to dry - or maybe, - I just have a short attention span. upload_2020-9-21_10-55-5.gif

235A_RAPALLO_Leudo_in_banchina_in_cartolina_illustrata_del_1905.jpg

027_leudi.jpg

The Origins of the Leudo.

For about 200 years - from the second half of the 18th century until the early 1960’s the Leudo was the boat on which the economy of the Liguria region in Italy depended. The Leudo was a typical Mediterranean vessel, whose origins are still uncertain: one of the most likely possibilities, traces its birth to the Middle Ages. Originally the boat had a rig with two masts inclined towards the bow with Latin sails; later the foresail would be replaced by a bowsprit with bows, which made the Leudo more agile to manoeuvre. Characteristic was the egg shape of the hull, and the very arched beams and deck.

It was a very seaworthy boat and could face severe climatic conditions only deemed suitable for much larger hulls. With a length of 15-16 metres, a beam of 5 metres and displacement of between 15 and 20 tons, it was It was mainly used by small businesses to transport wine, cheese and sand. The Leudo was used for wine (from which the name "Vinacciere" comes). The hold contained twenty large wine barrels while on deck there was space for a dozen smaller barrels. The deck also housed two large hatches for stowing the load and a winch in the bow for the most tiring makeovers. A unique characteristic of the Leudo was that it could be “winged” (towed) onto the beach, thus offering the advantage of being able to trade with all coastal towns without a port or pier.

051_leudo_suraio.jpg

A Leudo being "winged" (pulled out) onto the beach.

17_botti.jpg

The winch at the bow was used for heavy loads.

Aft was a small cabin with two berths (for the captain and the boatswain). In the bow, there was also a small hatch that led to another small cabin, also with two berths, intended for the crew. At the bow, near the deckhouse was a large cast-iron stove. If weather permitting, it served as a kitchen and was called a "gnafra".

What is in the box?

A great kit review was posted on SOS by member Jimsky and can be found at:(https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/leudo-vinaino-pob-scale-1-48-by-falkonet-russia.5509/) s
    So there is no need to repeat that. With his kind permission, I will use some of his photographs in my log.

600_0511.jpg
    Photo: Jimsky

Die bouwdoos.

600_0526.jpg
    Photo: Jimsky

Aan die binnekant.

My example, though, was off to an auspicious start. My plastic container with fittings was broken and I found small parts strewn all over the box. Also, my three brass photo-etched sheets were missing from the kit. A quick PM to Mariya of Falkonet put that right and I am happy to say that I have already received my missing parts.

So with all formalities out of the way, please join me on what I promise will be a very different build.

Kind regards - Heinrich

2. *Hans*

*Hans* Vriend van modelbouwforum.nl Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    30 okt 2012
    We wachten met spanning af!

Herby63 en Heinrich vinden dit leuk.
  3. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @*Hans* Hello Hans. Wat ek jou kan se is dat Kolderstok se bouwdoos en verpakking in n ander klas is!:)

*Hans* vindt dit leuk.
  4. amazone

amazone

Lid geworden:
    3 aug 2009
    ziet er een mooie kid uit heinrich
    veel suc6 met de bouw

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  5. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @amazone Baie dankie, Dirk! Ek gaan my bes probeer.

6. Stephan Kertész

Stephan Kertész

Lid geworden:
    5 jul 2019
    ben benieuwd, ga het met plezier volgen.

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  7. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    Stephan Kertész vindt dit leuk.
  8. Hoosterw

Hoosterw

Lid geworden:
    22 jun 2011
    Yeah ik heb een eerste rij zitplaats. Zet de afzuiging maar aan tegen de rookwolken ;)

Ik ga je met plezier volgen Heinrich, Succes met de bouw. Hans

Herby63 en Heinrich vinden dit leuk.
  9. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Hoosterw Welkom Hans. Dis lekker om jou in die bouwkamer te he!

Hoosterw vindt dit leuk.
  10. Pingu57

Pingu57 Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    14 dec 2014
    Heinrich, zojuist heb ik de review van Jimski gelezen, en dat lijkt niet alleen een heel mooi pakket, maar ook een heel mooi bootje.
    Een hele mooie aanvulling op je vloot.
    Heel veel plezier en succes met dit wijn schip :banana::):)

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  11. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Pingu57 Baie welkom Peter. Die scheepshelling sal nie dieselfde sonder jou wees nie. Jou Botter is een van die groot redes vir jierdie bouw. :) Ek het iets kleiner gesoek wat my oefening gee in die fijn werk wat jy so goed mee is. Dis nou wel nie n Botter nie, maar amper iets zoortgelijks.

12. Pingu57

Pingu57 Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    14 dec 2014
    Heinrich, dit vind ik een groot en een heel mooi compliment wat je me daar geeft, en ik moet zeggen dat jij zelf intussen ook hele mooie dingen laat zien op de diverse forums, Daarom ben ik ook heel benieuwd naar je verslag van dit schip.
    Maar eigenlijk ben ik ook heel benieuwd of jij je intussen ook al kunt redden met de Chinese taal want je zult daar vast wel eens alleen op pad zijn in China??
    Wat is in China eigenlijk de hoofdtaal?? is dat Mandarijn chinees? of is dit ook een van de dialecten??

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  13. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Pingu57 Wat ek gezeg het, is bedoel as n compliment. :thumbsup: Ja, Mandarijn is die hooftaal en almal kan dit praat of verstaan. Maar dan is jy heeltemal reg met die dialecten. Elke stad het omtrent sy eie dialect wat dit moeilijk maak. Maar ek het darem die Admiraal wat hard sukkel om my Chinees te leer. :stout: So stadigaan, begin ek darem al bietjie verstaan en praat.:)

14. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Pingu57 Wat ek gezeg het, is bedoel as n compliment. :thumbsup: Ja, Mandarijn is die hooftaal en almal kan dit praat of verstaan. Maar dan is jy heeltemal reg met die dialecten. Elke stad het omtrent sy eie dialect wat dit moeilijk maak. Maar ek het darem die Admiraal wat hard sukkel om my Chinees te leer. :stout: So stadigaan, begin ek darem al bietjie verstaan en praat.:)

15. Jaques

Jaques Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    31 mei 2016
    Potverdorie, ben ik ff een weekje weg en dan gaat die Heinrich ineens een ander project starten ;);) gelukkig heb ik nog net een mooi plekkie gevonden tussen beide werven in.... dus laat de foto’s maar komen, vol verwachting klopt.... tja we gaan toch die kant op hee.. succes Heinrich, maak er wat moois van :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  16. TIMBERWOLF

TIMBERWOLF Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    28 aug 2008
    bouw ze

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  17. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Jaques Hello Koos. Daardie sitplek is vir jou gereserveer! Ek het die kit al n tydjie en kon nie meer die versoeking weerstaan nie. Baie dankie vir die mooi woorde. Ons gaan prober om haar mooi te maak. Ek zeg "ons" want die Admiraal bouw saam.:)

18. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
  19. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    Hello Dear Friends

First I want to say thank you for the wonderful reaction that this build has received - I really appreciate it.

So let's start. Ter motivering, twee plaatjes verskaf deur Falkonet van hoe die voltooide model nou eintlik moet lyk.

1375880214.jpg

1375865956.jpg

Jigs.png

The first step was to make sure that I use the right jig. Two jigs are supplied - one for planking below the waterline and the other for above the waterline. The photograph below shows the MDF jig for planking the hull below the waterline.

WeChat Image_20200910124659.jpg

Since the jig is elliptical it is impossible to define Bow and Stern by just looking at the curvature. If you look very carefully, you will see a very feint arrow on the jig pointing to the front. I marked that clearly and also numbered the slots with the correct spant number. No 1 starts at the front and it ends with #21 at the stern. Note that spanten #4 and #5 towards the Agterstewe and #17 and #18 towards the Boeg, only have one slot milled into the jig. These are indicated by the two red slots in the picture.

The next thing I did was to identify Boeg and Agterstewe on the false keel. As with the jig, it is difficult to tell which side is which side. However, I used the angle of the mast as my guideline.

600_0535.jpg

The Leudo has a very steeply raked (towards the Boeg) main mast so the mast cut-out (indicated in red) is a clear indication of which side is the Boeg.

Next up was cutting out all the spanten (No’s 1-21) that would be used during construction below the waterline. (There is also a separate set of spanten for above the waterline).

WeChat Image_20200911041211.jpg

Spanten from the middle to the Agterstewe: Note the clearly-marked lines (yellow arrows) which indicate the exact point up to which afschuinsing needs to be done. The two red arrows point to the “dead” or “rising” wood pieces that also need afschuinsing.

WeChat Image_20200911041227.jpg

And exactly the same thing goes for the spanten from the middle towards the Boeg.

I took a lot of time with the fairing to try and do that as accurately as possible. I have unfortunately neglected to take pictures of the faired bulkheads before installation, but during the planking phase, you will get a good idea of the bevelling that has taken place.

After all afschuinsing was completed, I dry-fitted all spanten into the false keel.

WeChat Image_20200918145147.jpg

All spanten fitted perfectly onto the false keel and no sanding or filing of any kind was required.

That is all for now - I promise that the next update will happen quickly.:)

Vriendelijk groete - Heinrich

20. Pingu57

Pingu57 Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    14 dec 2014
    Een mooi begin Heinrich, veel plezier:):)

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.

Deel Deze Pagina