YANGTZE RIVER HIGH-NET FISHING SAMPAN

Discussie in 'Bouwverslagen historische schepen' gestart door Heinrich, 7 jul 2021.

1. robberdebop

robberdebop

Lid geworden:
    8 feb 2016
    Interessant project! Uniek model en nooit eerder als model gezien. Zal deze zeker volgen, succes met de bouw!

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  2. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Jaques Baie welkom Koos. De bouw zal net nie dieselfde wees sonder jouw camping stoel nie! :) IK zal mij bes probeer.

Jaques vindt dit leuk.
  3. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @robberdebop Vele dank vir de mooi woorde. Ik dink ook dat dit n uniek model is en de historie is vir mij zeer interessant!

4. Hans Groenenberg

Hans Groenenberg Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    12 nov 2014
    Nou Heinrich... Ik schakel net in op dit kijkplezier.... succes maar dat zal vast wel goed komen.

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  5. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Hans Groenenberg Baie dankie vir de ondersteuning en volg Hans - dit word hoogs waardeer. De model moet goed kom - vir mij is daar veel op de spel! :)

Hans Groenenberg vindt dit leuk.
  6. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    Hello all. First I want to thank everyone who has had a look at the log and for all the wonderful comments that I have received. It is really heartening that so many of you also find the historical background interesting - that is exactly the reason why I was attracted to this subject in the first place. So with the hull having had 24 hours to "rest" and for the glue to cure properly, it was time to move forward.

The instructions now called for some of the floor planking to be done – between Bulkheads #4 and #5 at the stern and bulkheads #11 and #12 towards the bow. These will respectively form the cooking area or kitchen and the storage compartments for ropes and other miscellaneous items. Obviously, the rationale behind planking these floor-sections at this point is to aid in some form of structural rigidity to the hull assembly which, at this point, is flimsy to say the least.

20200116_234600 - 副本 (2).jpg

Floor planking for the cooking area (between Bulkheads #4 and #5.

20200116_234637.jpg

Floor planking done for the storage area between Bulkheads #11 and #12,

Interestingly, the model resembles exactly the way that the original Sampans were constructed - three bulkheads (forming four compartments), two half-bulkheads and four frames.

With that done came the crucial part of the whole hull construction – and it may indeed be the crucial part of the whole build – the bow and stern torsion bars. These bars (3mm x 4mm) have to be bent both laterally (sideways) and vertically (downwards) to slot into no fewer than 4 (for each bar) predetermined cut-out slots. Ominously (but purposely), they are also approximately 2mm too short. These bars create the tension that “forces” the Sampan hull into its distinct upswept curvature at the stern and bow. Get this wrong (only slightly) and you will end up with uneven tension, warping the whole hull assembly.

At this point the hull-assembly sits completely flat on the table and viewed from the side, basically looks like this (please forgive the amateurish drawings.)

Wedge.png

As it stands now the shape can best be described as a “wedge”. We need to get the hull into a shape so that it looks like on the picture below.

Sampan Curvature.png

So now comes the difficult part. Yes, with plenty of soaking in water and then using my plank bender I could potentially pre-shape those torsion bars more or less into a workable position and with copious amounts of filing and sanding, I could get it to fit pretty decently into those slots. But … then they would serve no purpose other than a cosmetic one and they would simply be filling up the slots.

No … the whole idea is that they should be “forced into those slots and into the two apertures of the rearmost bulkhead so that they could twist and strain the hull into position. However, just how much strain and stress were required? How do I “balance” the torsion between port and starboard sides? And … assuming that I got it right at the stern, this whole exercise has to be repeated at the bow end. Having fun yet?

Well to cut a long story short and as my dear friend @pingu57 Peter said, I finally got it done with “water, vuur, en een hakbijl”.:D

20200116_234600 - 副本.jpg

Torsion bars installed at the stern. These two were a real mission to get into position.

20200116_234637 - 副本.jpg

Torsion bars at the bow installed.

After the torsion bars were installed, I was happy to see that there was no warping of the hull, but I still had no idea whether my upswept curves at the stern and bow “swept up” enough or too much. That would only be possible to tell once the next stages of assembly have been completed.

Thank you very much for all your comments and for following or for just taking a look or giving a thumbs-up. It is all sincerely appreciated - and if there are critical comments, please do not be shy of posting them either!

Vriendelijke groete - Heinrich

Bijgevoegde bestanden:

7. *Hans*

*Hans* Vriend van modelbouwforum.nl Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    30 okt 2012
    Cliff hanger!

Net nu het spannend begint te worden

8. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @*Hans* Hans, deze tipe cliffhanger is niet goed vir mij gesondheid nie! :D Maar de Batavia het mij baie geleer en deze poging lijk klaar veel beter as de eerste!

*Hans* vindt dit leuk.
  9. Ronald Vis

Ronald Vis

Lid geworden:
    2 jan 2017
    It looks really fragile Heinrich! Respect for the result so far

One question… Since the parts are so fragile, did you consider to replace it with something stronger?

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  10. Pingu57

Pingu57 Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    14 dec 2014
    Mooi gedaan Heinrich, nu is de Sampan een stuk steviger zeker??

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  11. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Ronald Vis Hoi Ronald. Vele dank vir de bemoediging en aansporing. Deze model is histories baie akkuraat, Om de delen met iets sterkers te vervang moet de dikte van delen verbreed word en dan is de model weer niet op schaal nie. Zo nouw is dit maar net swoeg en vasbijt. :D

Ronald Vis vindt dit leuk.
  12. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Pingu57 Dankjewel Peter. De sampan is zo een aks steviger as vantevore maar niet baie nie. De volgende stap is om de vistenk se vloer te beplank so hopelik sal dit help!

Pingu57 vindt dit leuk.
  13. *Hans*

*Hans* Vriend van modelbouwforum.nl Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    30 okt 2012
    Dìe Suid Afrikaans blijf een leuk spraachie. :)

Goed werk allemaal Heinrich!

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  14. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @*Hans* Vele dank, Hans! De sampan moet klaar sodat de Haarlem aan de beurt kan kom en dan ...

15. Jaques

Jaques Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    31 mei 2016
  16. Pingu57

Pingu57 Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    14 dec 2014
    Ja, red ons uit onze nieuwsgierigheid Heinrich:D:D

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  17. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Jaques

@Pingu57

Hokaai jongens ... de Haarlem het nog n lang paadjie om te loop. :D De volgende model is niet sozeer mij projek as wat dit mij en Yuan Qing se projek is nie. De model ter sprake is natuurlijk een Hollander - de vraag is nouw net of YQ de bouwdoos kan ontwerp zoos ik dit wil he. Daar is dus nog baie computerwerk wat op ons wacht.

Pingu57 en Jaques vinden dit leuk.
  18. Pingu57

Pingu57 Forum veteraan

Lid geworden:
    14 dec 2014
    Kijk eens aan Heinrich, ook al in het ontwerp van de Hollanders mooi, kun je al een tipje oplichten over welk schip??:):):)

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.
  19. Heinrich

Heinrich

Lid geworden:
    26 jan 2020
    @Pingu57 Peter al wat ik op deze oomblijk kan zeg is dat dit moontlik n VOC schip zal wees wat ook as oorlogsschip diens gedoen het.

Pingu57 vindt dit leuk.
  20. Stephan Kertész

Stephan Kertész

Lid geworden:
    5 jul 2019
    Prins Willem was beide

Heinrich vindt dit leuk.

Deel Deze Pagina